After several weeks (I took the beta exam in November) and after results were already visible through Prometric yesterday, today I finally received confirmation through e-mail and on the MCP site that I passed both Exchange 2013 related beta exams:
- 70-341: Core Solutions of Microsoft Exchange Server 2013
- 70-342: Advanced Solutions of Microsoft Exchange Server 2013
I already took 70-417 Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA Windows Server 2012, which is an upgrade exam much like the previous 70-649 exam (2003->2008) and 70-292/296 (2000->2003). With officially passing 70-341 and 70-342 in conjunction with MCSA: Windows Server 2012, I’m now officially a (deep breath) Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert: Messaging on Exchange Server 2013.
Note that by passing 70-417 you’ll effectively complete the following exams:
- 70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012
- 70-411: Administering Windows Server 2012
- 70-412: Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services
If you don’t qualify for the 70-417 exam (details), e.g. you’re new to Microsoft certification or you’re an MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2007, you either pass the exams required to qualify (e.g. 70-662 and 70-663, which will expire in 2013 by the way) or you take and pass each of the mentioned Windows Server 2012 exams.
Useful resources when you want to archieve MCSE: Messaging yourself:
- Certification planning, courses and preparation guides via MS Learning;
- The presentations from TechEd Australia 2012 or TechEd New Zealand 2012;
- The available Microsoft Exchange Conferences (MEC) 2012 videos;
- The Microsoft Exchange Team blog for some in-depth Exchange 2013 related articles;
- And last but not least: Exchange 2013 went Generally Available, so you can download the binaries and install it in a lab environment to get some hands-on experience. Alternatively, when resources are limit, you can use the offline Exchange 2013 Help File or Exchange 2013 Technet site for learning.
- For MCSA: Windows Server 2012 related material, check MS Learning or start by watching the 70-417 Windows Server 2013 Upgrade Jump Start videos.
Note that when applying for Microsoft Certified Solutions Master (MCSM): Messaging before end of this year, you need the become an MCSA: Windows Server 2012; Starting January 1st, 2014 you need to become an MCSE: Messaging (which includes MCSA: Windows Server 2012) .